Monday 14 August 2017

"What Can We Do?"

Yesterday kind people in my Latin Mass community asked what they could do. Someone asked if he or she could bring food, and I said we had food worked out. Really, the only kindness I have been able to think of is people with cars coming to take away bags of reusables to charity shops and boxes of rubbish to the local tip. Seeing our flat empty of useless stuff is one of my principal joys. I have very little time to clean, so the less there is to trip over, the better.

However, this morning I woke up deeply depressed after nightmares, and I have thought of something else. 

Greeting cards. 

Greeting cards are great because the feeling of being alone is really crushing right now. This is the dark side of moving across the ocean to start a "new life" (at the decidedly ripe old age of 38) in romantic Scotland: isolation. I have no family here, and B.A.'s family is... Well, it's complicated, but hasn't really been a problem until now.

(By the way, I think the day is coming--if it has not already come--when the British are astonished to discover that once upon a time people relied on their families and provided for their families, and it was assumed that family members both recognised and cared for each other materially--if need be--and emotionally instead of merely wishing each other well on their individual journeys towards self-fulfilment among "partners" and drinking buddies. At its very best, that's what the death of the British family looks like.)

Occasionally B.A. gets a greeting card from someone he knows through work, and I read it to him, and I feel that's really quite nice. But I don't know the person, so I don't get the lift that recognising a familiar name brings. 

Yesterday I got a wonderful email from Polish Pretend Daughter. She was in a lather of indignation at all B.A.'s doctors and wanted a list of all his drugs so she (bio-chemist) could check them out. She longs to cross-examine these doctors but feared they wouldn't talk to her because she wasn't family. 

I am so grateful she cares so much---and amused that she thinks British doctors, as a group, are that willing to talk to family.

Last week I got a letter from Polish Pretend Son (no relation to the above), in which he told me he was praying for B.A. every day. That meant so much, too. 

Then there was the email from our sister-in-law, informing us of a cash gift waiting to go into one of our bank accounts. Simply lovely---and repaired the financial damage of all the taxi rides to hospitals. 

The phone is mostly quiet, and I'm glad about that because from Monday to Friday, I am simply overwhelmed by work. But the brilliance of greeting cards from family and friends is that I can open them and read them when I am actually at leisure. 

Greeting cards--and letters--are also marvellous because they ask for nothing, e.g. a response. They are pure gift and a way of saying "Hey, you're not alone. We aren't avoiding you because we think your bad luck might be contagious." 

Now I know what to do when someone I know is long-term sick: send stuff: greeting cards, letters, flowers, whatever.  This will give the receivers (at least the one well enough) a little lift and help them not feel abandoned and alone.

(That said, when I had to be away for work, and therefore wasn't here to cook, it was absolutely fantastic that friends brought food.)

As for other things--like taking B.A. out for an hour--it's complicated because B.A. is in such rough shape that there are few people he actually wants to see: he's embarrassed by the way he looks, and he's in pain so often, he can't make the cheerful conversation he thinks guests deserve. (And grateful thanks here to Polish Pretend Daughter's husband, who is someone B.A. enjoy seeing, for his visits.)

I could hire a private nurse for an hour a day or a week, but B.A. is dead set against that. And actually the hour I take B.A. for slow walks around the front lawn--B.A. complaining bitterly half the time and very ill-bred members of the public staring at us--is incredibly important to me. 

"Thank you for doing this," says B.A. between groans and complaints.

"It's my job," I say, and it is. It really is. Nobody is allowed to take that part away from me. Same goes for the baths, and helping someone chemically stripped of body fat to take a bath is no picnic.

So I am very much the picture of "the dog in the manger" who won't let anyone (or almost anyone) help with B.A. himself while complaining inwardly about lack of help.

But it's not help I need. It's tangible greetings from friends and family I can touch and read and take to B.A.  Children's drawings would be nice, too. I once got a thank-you note from a courtesy nephew--it featured a drawing of a bush baby--and I still have it. It's so cute--rather like the artist!

So to friends wondering what they can do: that's what you can do. Thank you! 

8 comments:

  1. As an online follower who mostly lurks, I obviously can't send a greeting card, but I did want to click through to your post and leave a message saying that I am praying for you and B.A. (And thank you for sharing your experiences so we can all understand a bit better - on behalf of those people who are not writers, who are not bloggers, who can't really find the words to do so, or are not comfortable telling people what would be most helpful for them.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't checked in at your blog for a while, but did so a week or two ago. I am saddened to hear that you and BA are going through such a hard time. I love your advice on how to help a family coping with illness. One of my husband's colleagues recently had a battle with c-diff that went straight to his heart. He had otherwise been healthy. He had surgery and is doing better now. We sent cards and a book, and I could tell it was so appreciated! Such a small thing. He didn't want visitors because of the way he looked. You are not alone in your plight. I wish I could visit and help you, but I am across the pond. I am praying for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from London On!

    I am a long time reader since your column in the catholic register. Wishing you and your husband all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I check your blog every day to see if there is an update and I want you know I am praying for you both. I can't tell you how worried I am because it sounds weird since we have never met. If there is something your unmet readers can do for you, please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, also saying lots of prayers for you and offering up my little daily sufferings.

      Delete
    2. Yes, KimP said it exactly right. This longterm reader would love to do something for you as well. Praying! God bless you and BA too.

      Delete
    3. Yes, please do let us know! In the meantime, we are praying for you and BA!

      Delete
    4. Likewise. You are both in my prayers. Over the past few years, your kindness and sensible advice has helped me out of more than one hole!
      --Amused

      Delete