Wednesday 15 February 2017

The Valentine's Day Rule

Long-term readers know that my principal rule for surviving Valentine's Day, be you married or single, is to expect nothing. If you expect nothing, you will be pleasantly surprised if you receive anything. So it was with me, for my father gave me a box of sugar-free chocolates (!) and B.A. made a valentine with the aid of photoshop and sent it as an email attachment.

I spent the day with my best girlfriends. First I went to a married one's house (full of sons) and another dropped by with her baby daughter, and we all had lunch together. Then I had a pedicure and manicure at a shop nearby. Finally I went to the single one's medieval music concert.

This is traditionally what I do on Valentine's Day, feeling in solidarity with those who do not share the day with any kind of sweetheart. Of course, it is different for me having a man at home. However, I like to think that there is something special about spending such a couple-obsessed day with women friends.

2 comments:

  1. I had a chance to send a few Operation Valentinius gifts and calls, and really enjoyed how happy everyone was to receive them. And my 7 year old niece/goddaughter sent me a handmade Valentine...you just can't keep your heart from melting when a child has written "I love you" and dropped that in the mail especially for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I'm delighted you carried out Operation V this year! And re: niece, Awwwww! :-D

    ReplyDelete